We have two types of replication in Configuration Manager.
- Database replication
- File-based replication
- Global Data & Site data that replicates by using database replication.
- Database replication uses SQL server service broker to transfer data between the SQL Server database of different sites.
- SQL server service broker uses port 4022.
Global Data :-
- Global data objects are replicated everywhere.
- It consists of Package metadata, Program Metadata, Deployments, Software updates Metadata, Operating system images, Configuration Items metadata, Alert rules,Client discovery,Collections rules and count.
Site Data :-
- Site data objects are replicated from a primary sites to a central administration site.
- It consists of Alert messages,Hardware inventory,Software inventory and metering,Status messages,Status summary data,Client Health data,Component and Site Status Summarizers,
- File-based replication transfer the data in File format between Config Manager sites.
- It uses the Server Message Block protocol (Port 445).
- Objects are Package files,Data from secondary sites,Fallback status point state messages,Discovery data records.
Process flow :
- The Sending component places a file into the Replmgr’s outbound folder.
- Replmgr creates a job file and places it into the Ready folder.
- Scheduler pick up the job file and create the sending request file, and generates the compressed files, which will be sent to the tosend folder
- Based on the job priority and other settings, the scheduler triggers the sender to write the files from tosend folder to the despool folder on the receiving site server.